Tuesday, April 06, 2004

from Raed:
The souls of thousands of Iraqis, and hundreds of Americans are even more costly than all the money that was spent.

I was the country director of the first (and maybe only) door-to-door civilian casualties survey, Marla Ruzika was my American partner, the fund raiser and the general director of CIVIC.

But unfortunately, she didn’t have the chance to publish the final results until now.

I decided to publish my copy of the final results of the Iraqi civilian casualties in Baghdad and the south of Iraq on the 9th of this month, in respect to the big effort of the 150 volunteers used to work with me and spent weeks o hard work under the hot sun of the summer, in respect for Majid my brother that spent weeks arranging the data entry process, and in respect to the innocent souls of those who died because of irresponsible political decisions.

Two thousand killed, Four thousand injured.

Each one of these thousands has a life, memories, hopes… each one had his moments of sadness, moments of joy and moments of love.

In respect to their sacred memory, I would appreciate it if you could spend some minutes reading the database file when I publish them, read their names, and their personal details, and think about them as human beings, friends and relatives, not mere figures and numbers.


I will read and respect the lives those names represent.

No comments: